Definition of self-righteous in English:
Having or characterized by a certainty, especially an unfounded one, that one is totally correct or morally superior: self-righteous indignation and complacency
More example sentences
- This sort of smug, self-righteous moralising is exactly what the original American student was speaking out against.
- The tone is superior and self-righteous, but there is some truth to what Wills was saying.
- What's with all this self-righteous indignation about reality television?
- Example sentences
- I found someone who didn't already know about the article and the tumult it had aroused and testified self-righteously for a quarter of an hour.
- In fact, maybe if you've been self-righteously indignant on both sides of an issue, you should conclude that it's not an issue about which self-righteous indignation is called for.
- This species can be identified on the first day of class as the person who, five minutes into the start of the class, self-righteously points out the flaws in the professor's marking scheme.
Pronunciation: /ˌself ˈrīCHəslē/adverb
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.