Definition of self-supporting in English:
1Having the resources to be able to survive without outside assistance.
- Such a cost-benefit ratio lends weight to the proposition that, in many cases, infrastructure can be self-supporting, generating its own land value revenue source.
- As a self-supporting enterprise, space flight is far more costly than air travel.
- In this instance, over time they should become financially self-supporting.
2Staying up or upright without being supported by something else: arches were originally self-supporting structures
More example sentences
- In addition, the mechanical bond allows the structure to become self-supporting.
- That's why I've come up with my own solution to make this little corner of the page self-supporting.
- The prefabricated broadcast studios feature magnetically attached fabric wrapped panels and a self-supporting wood panel system that is isolated from the booths to maintain acoustical integrity.
- Example sentences
- Is there a middle-class person in America who doesn't understand the relation of education and skills to self-support in the twenty-first century?
- The continuing hope behind all this is that teenagers completing courses acquire skills and self-confidence for job hunting or self-support.
- The local reaction has disempowered many young people and denied them access to self-support and to the support of others who share their concerns.
Words that rhyme with self-supportingunsporting
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan