Definition of sellout in English:
1The selling of an entire stock of something, especially tickets for an entertainment or sports event.
- Every week, he pined for a sellout, selling the virtues of a good crowd like a high-school coach, hoping that filled stands would raise the stakes in the 50-50 raffle.
- It was an enormous success and right from the start tickets were a sellout.
- System overloads, ticket sellouts and irate cricket fans yesterday marked the start of the ticket sales for the 2003 Cricket World Cup to be played in February and March next year.
1.1An event for which all tickets are sold: the game is sure to be a sellout
More example sentences
- So if you missed out on tickets for the sell-out Edinburgh event, make your way to the Globe Arena on September 10 and 11.
- The event was a sell-out success and the organisers are now almost certain to bring the event back to the town in May 2005.
- It was a sell-out night with 400 tickets sold, many to students at the school.
2A sale of a business or company.
- Two years of home sellouts and the increased concession sales alone could be worth as much as $15 million.
- ‘The sellout of Aer Lingus is a shameful decision,’ Mr Rabbitte told delegates in his opening address at the Brandon Hotel.
- She optimistically spoke about the better language in the contract and began to hear rumors of the sell-out of the union negotiating team.
2.1A betrayal of one’s principles for reasons of expedience: one of the biggest political sellouts in decades
More example sentences
- There was no doubt that many in the folk music scene regarded the transition to electric guitar as a betrayal and a sell-out of everything they believed in.
- It is a sell-out - an utter betrayal of the working people of this country, and of every patriotic New Zealander.
- A shameful catalogue of abandonment, betrayal, sell-out, dishonesty and total breach of trust.
Definition of sellout in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan