(also seltzer water)
Definition of seltzer in English:
- This was the first artificially carbonated water, known as soda water or seltzer.
- Be sure to include offerings from the alcohol-free zone: sparkling water, fruit juice mixed with seltzer or ginger ale, spiced iced tea or cider.
- They had to drink seltzer water instead of champagne and had even been given a pasteboard turkey which they were expected to pretend to consume.
1.1Medicinal mineral water from Niederselters in Germany.
- The word ‘seltzer’ originated in Niederselters, Germany, where natural springs produced carbonated water enjoyed by the locals.
- Centuries ago, I would have had to travel to Niederselters, Germany, wherefrom the word ‘seltzer’ derives, to drink from their natural pools of carbonated water.
mid 18th century: alteration of German Selterser, from (Nieder)selters (see above).
Definition of seltzer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan