Definition of semicircle in English:
1A half of a circle or of its circumference.
- It is a complete circle and then down on the bottom half there is a semicircle with a little circle above it.
- His point is well taken, for if circles were defined in terms of semicircles, then presumably semicircles would be defined in terms of the quarter-circles of which they are composed, and so on, ad infinitum.
- It is well burnished only on the exterior body, which is decorated with a series of engraved ticked circles and semicircles.
1.1A set of objects arranged in a semicircle: chairs were in a semicircle around the hearth
More example sentences
- The patara ruin has rows of stone seats arranged in a semicircle, like the chambers of the American Congress.
- I'm sat in one of those chairs with a little side table to rest your notebook on, arranged in a semicircle in a darkened room.
- Tables have been arranged in a semicircle around the bench rather than in the normal linear fashion.
- Example sentences
- A semicircular plug to be fitted in a semicircular recess formed in either end of a cylinder head of an overhead cam shaft engine for preventing leakage of lubricating oil.
- For those that appreciate architecture and design, a semicircular brick patio may add just the right touch of personality to a backyard.
Definition of semicircle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan