- 1Combining formal and informal elements: in the semiformal atmosphere irritations can be airedMore example sentences
- Today, it's another iteration of ‘How to dress yourself,’ this time for semiformal events such as… well, this work function, or a nice party.
- My wedding was semiformal, so everyone just dressed neat and tidy.
- Sometimes the biggest challenge to getting ready for a semi-formal date is defining ‘semiformal.’
- 1.1Used to describe clothing that is neither formal nor casual and that is typically worn for a dance, wedding, or other event: the casino has a semiformal dress code (men must wear a tie and jacket)More example sentences
- Patients prefer doctors to wear semiformal dress and are most comfortable with conservative items.
- If the wedding in question takes place before 6:30 or 7:00 at night, there's a good chance that the bride and groom are skipping black tie and opting instead for semiformal dress.
- Most dress or semiformal trousers should have a slight to medium break when the bottom meets the shoe, no more than one inch.
nounBack to top
- An event at which semiformal attire is expected: it had organized its own spring semiformal at a nearby hotelMore example sentences
- Later that evening the Kimmel Center hosts a red-carpet-styled gala for the glitterati and a dress-to-the-nines semiformal.
- I met him at the semiformal that Scott was supposed to attend with me.
- As I mentioned, I invited him to be my date for the semiformal of my junior year.