- 1(Of a work, event, moment, or figure) strongly influencing later developments: his seminal work on chaos theoryMore example sentences
- The artist has had a seminal influence on the development of modern Irish music, since he first hit the scene in Dublin in the 1960s.
- In 1870 he produced a seminal volume that would influence generations of garden-makers throughout the world.
- The rugged brick and timber house he designed for his family on a sloping bush site in Chatswood in 1963 was a seminal work that greatly influenced the development of the Sydney School.
- 2Of, relating to, or denoting semen.More example sentences
- The seminal plasma of mammals is a complex fluid, which serves as a carrier for the spermatozoa in their journey from the male testes to their target, the female uterus.
- The seminal plasma of mammals contains a group of acidic proteins that bind to the spermatozoa.
- At the same time the seminal vesicles and prostate gland contract and release seminal fluid into the urethra.
- 2.1 Botany Of, relating to, or derived from the seed of a plant.More example sentences
- Upon the death of the seminal root the plant fragments into several independent stolon systems and begins the clonal stage of its life cycle.
- In the uniform exodermis of seminal roots of Zea mays, intact plasmodesmata were found even in exodermal cells where the walls were suberized.
- Seminal roots do not form a coleorhiza since the scutellar node tissue is already differentiated when seminal roots emerge and can easily be penetrated.
- More example sentences
- That would place a wholly new perspective on Indian policies in South Asia, no less than the doctrine threatening to seminally reshape U.S. foreign policy.
- This was spurred on by many magazine articles of the time, most seminally a December 1959 True magazine article describing the discovery of large, mysterious footprints the year before in Bluff Creek, California.
- A person, it appeared, could pick and choose between several possible explanations; St. Augustine shouted of the ‘The Fall’ and our need for punishment for being seminally present in Adam.