- 1Order or instruct (someone) to come to one; summon: if you don’t go I shall send for the policeMore example sentences
call for, summon, contact; ask for, request, order
- Iokaste sends for Oedipus and instructs the Corinthian to inform him of the news.
- Niko's wounds would heal quickly enough and I instructed the Captain to send for the physician in the morning.
- ‘I shall be sending for you and we shall marry and live together in France,’ he told me.
- 1.1Order by mail: send for our mail order catalogMore example sentences
- I sent for a copy and when I glanced through it, I thought it was really great.
- In order to do this effectively it may be given powers equivalent to those of the High Court to summon witnesses, send for documents, administer oaths, etc.
- We phoned a place in Toronto to send for replacement instruments, but made the mistake of telling them they'd probably been stolen.
More definitions of send forDefinition of send for in:
- The British & World English dictionary