- 1A cantata with a pastoral subject.More example sentences
- It opens with a sinfonia to one of Alessandro's many secular cantatas or ‘serenatas.’
- Other dramatic, but generally unstaged genres were the cantata and serenata, and the sacred equivalent of opera, oratorio, given in Lent when theatres were closed.
- This is an example of a serenata, or ‘serenade’- in this context, a hybrid between a cantata and an opera.
Italian, 'serenade' (see serenade).
More definitions of serenataDefinition of serenata in:
- The British & World English dictionary