Definition of sergeant major in English:
1A noncommissioned officer in the US Army or Marine Corps of the highest rank, above master sergeant and below warrant officer.
- The conference is open to Active and Reserve component battalion-level and above CSS leaders in the ranks of sergeant major and above and joint service equivalents.
- For others, it may be the concept of a general officer or a sergeant major who brings ‘chosen’ subordinates up through the ranks guiding them towards the ‘good jobs’ to achieve promotions.
- How is it going to be received by the sergeant major or the colonel who is there in the audience?
2A warrant officer in the British army.
- The senior non-commissioned member of a British unit is its regimental sergeant major.
- The former sergeant major was once the British Army's top sniper in the province and was known as a lethal shot during the height of the Ulster troubles in the 70s.
- One of her three sons is an army sergeant major.
3A fish with boldly striped sides that lives in warm seas, typically on coral reefs.
- Abudefduf saxatilis, family Pomacentridae
- Holding the chain railing, we followed our leader and had up-close encounters with yellow tails, sergeant majors, blue tang, trumpet fish, and other reef dwellers.
- Blue Beach, which along with Green offers the best snorkeling - an abundance of blue tangs, queen angelfish, sergeant majors, and spotted eagle rays in the water - is a mile long, and the dirt road keeps going for three miles past it.
- The yellowtail snappers, sergeant majors and occasional parrotfish displayed no fear of us at all.
Words that rhyme with sergeant majorgauger, golden-ager, major, old-stager, pager, rampager, stager, wager
Definition of sergeant major in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.