Definition of seriema in English:
A large, ground-dwelling South American bird related to the bustards, with a long neck and legs and a crest above the bill.
- Family Cariamidae: two genera and species
- There are trumpeters, cariamas, and the limpkin in South America; sungrebes in South America, Africa, and southeastern Asia; and mesites on Madagascar.
- Another clue comes from the predatory habits of the closest living relatives of terror birds - seriema.
- And indeed, today's two species of seriema in southern South America appear to be derived from Pleistocene fossil birds which were once giant, flightless predators (known as phorusrhacoids) of now-extinct fauna.
Definition of seriema in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan