A small Eurasian and North African finch related to the canary, with a short bill and typically streaky plumage.
- Genus Serinus, family Fringillidae: several species, in particular the European serin (S. serinus)
More example sentences
- In the serin, Serinus serinus, female, copulatory behavior was not significantly affected by song performance of the mate.
- The European serin inhabits wooded and shrubby hillsides, and also utilizes well-vegetated agricultural areas, such as vineyards, orchards, and plantations.
- A European Serin is present in Warley Woods singing from thickets to the left of the path leading from the Abbey.
mid 16th century (denoting a canary): from French, 'canary', of unknown ultimate origin.
Definition of serin in:
- The British & World English dictionary