- A medium-sized insectivorous bat found in Eurasia and Africa.
More example sentences
- ● a chiefly Eurasian bat (genus Eptesicus, family Vespertilionidae, in particular the widespread E. serotinus). ● an African bat (genus Pipistrellus, family Vespertilionidae).
- The Serotine (Eptesicus serotinus) is one of our less common species and is found mainly south of a line from The Wash to parts of South Wales.
- In the summer, serotines roost in tree hollows and attics.
late 18th century: from French sérotine, from Latin serotinus 'of the evening, late', from serus 'late'.
More definitions of serotineDefinition of serotine in:
- The British & World English dictionary