Definition of servant in English:
1A person who performs duties for others, especially a person employed in a house on domestic duties or as a personal attendant.
- Many girls are used as domestic servants and are prevented from attending school.
- Financially they were well enough established to be able to employ a domestic servant.
- Sometimes clients or their families treat caregivers as maids or domestic servants.
1.1A person employed in the service of a government. See also civil servant, public servant.
- Being in public service exposes government servants to a lot of criticism, but praise, even if rare, is a great boost.
- Officers are employees and servants of the council and, in the last resort, take instructions from it.
- They also urged the public to come forwards with information in case they came across corrupt government servants.
1.2A devoted and helpful follower or supporter: a tireless servant of God
More example sentences
- This case also reminds me that even the most devoted servants of God are not over the Gospel but beneath it.
- The pattern made plain in the Saviour, and then the apostles, is to be followed by all his servants.
- He was a great servant of the Conservative Party, a devoted constituency member and a very good friend.
helper, supporter, follower
Middle English: from Old French, literally '(person) serving', present participle (used as a noun) of servir 'to serve'.
- Example sentences
- Within our congregations, we want to hear, feel, sense, and see this expression of servanthood - that serving God is a blessing and an opportunity to be used by God.
- Through personal stories, scripture, and reflection, the authors speak about how we can better incorporate servanthood into our daily lives.
- Instead, he longed for role models for servanthood.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan