Definition of sesquicentennial in English:
Of or relating to the one-hundred-and-fiftieth anniversary of a significant event.
- The University of Michigan Medical School this year celebrates its sesquicentennial anniversary.
- Renovation and redecoration of church property was followed by an elaborate sesquicentennial celebration.
- Thus it was that I wound up postponing my degree and staying a fifth year to edit the sesquicentennial edition of the university's yearbook.
nounBack to top
A one-hundred-and-fiftieth anniversary.
- He performed at Harold Washington's mayoral inauguration in 1987, at Washington's funeral, and at Chicago's sesquicentennial.
- Philadelphia's 1926 effort to mark the nation's sesquicentennial with a world's fair was an aesthetic and commercial disappointment.
Definition of sesquicentennial in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan