Definition of set about in English:
1Start doing something with vigor or determination: it would be far better to admit the problem openly and set about tackling it
More example sentences
- She then sets about building the nest laying her eggs as the work proceeds.
- After breakfast he sets about cleaning his truck till it gleams and drives off to work at a stone quarry.
- So what he does is identify a specific problem in the workplace and sets about resolving it.
2British informal Attack (someone).
- He claimed the cabbie had assaulted him, setting about him with a wheel brace and then trying to run him over.
- As he tried to recover it, the other side's players thought she was being assaulted and set about him.
- You cheer when he manages to gain respect by setting about tormentors with a fistful of batteries.