Definition of set about in English:
1Start doing something with vigor or determination: it would be far better to admit the problem openly and set about tackling it
More example sentences
- She then sets about building the nest laying her eggs as the work proceeds.
- After breakfast he sets about cleaning his truck till it gleams and drives off to work at a stone quarry.
- So what he does is identify a specific problem in the workplace and sets about resolving it.
2British informal Attack (someone).
- He claimed the cabbie had assaulted him, setting about him with a wheel brace and then trying to run him over.
- As he tried to recover it, the other side's players thought she was being assaulted and set about him.
- You cheer when he manages to gain respect by setting about tormentors with a fistful of batteries.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan