Definition of seventh in English:
1Constituting number seven in a sequence; 7th: his seventh goal of the season the seventh of June he was the seventh of eight children
More example sentences
- Roslea is the site of an ancient church and convent dating back to the seventh century.
- Laws made in the seventh century could finally give way to the needs of the 21st.
- At the beginning of the seventh century St. Gobban founded a monastery at Leighlin Bridge.
1.1 (a seventh/one seventh) Each of seven equal parts into which something is or may be divided.
- The Plovdiv region alone concentrates a seventh of the arable land and 14 per cent of the labour resources of this country.
- He was critical of the small quotas, which would mean that one vessel could catch a seventh of the total for certain species in a single fishing trip.
- During his long reign he commandeered nearly a seventh of the land area.
1.2The seventh finisher or position in a race or competition: he finished seventh in the tournament
More example sentences
- Sunline came out of the Pukekohe race and then finished seventh in the Hong Kong Cup.
- Briton Steve Ovett finished fifth and Sriram Singh was seventh in that memorable race.
- In Athens, her Olympic career ended when she finished seventh in her 100m semi-final.
1.5 Music The note which is higher by a seventh than the tonic of a diatonic scale or root of a chord.
- The work lies far closer, at least in its harmonic thought, to American Modernism (say, Copland's music of the Twenties) than to what we might expect from familiar Creston - diatonic chords leavened with major sevenths and ninths.
1.6 Music A chord in which the seventh note of the scale forms an important component.
- It's got a great G major ending with a couple of Gershwinian sevenths and they just adored it.
- Heard in this context, it involves the destruction and re-incarnation of the melody; at the close it appears over and above a series of jazz pianist sevenths.
- Practicing fourths and consecutive sevenths challenges the ear in ways that sixths and thirds don't, in addition to enhancing hand stability.
in seventh heaven
- see heaven.
Words that rhyme with seventheleventh
Definition of seventh in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.