Definition of sevruga in English:
1A migratory sturgeon found only in the basins of the Caspian and Black Seas, much fished for its caviar.
- Acipenser stellatus, family Acipenseridae
- The fish he needs are the sturgeon - the beluga and the sevruga.
- There is a budget version of the omelette - with only one ounce of the sevruga caviar it sets diners back just $100.
- Only the eggs of the sevruga - much smaller, harder, greyer and cheaper - taste like fish (which, Mme Mittelbronn reassures us, makes them a wonderful accompaniment to vodka).
1.1Caviar obtained from the sevruga.
Late 16th century: from Russian sevryuga.
Definition of sevruga in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.