Definition of sevruga in English:
1A migratory sturgeon found only in the basins of the Caspian and Black Seas, much fished for its caviar.
- Acipenser stellatus, family Acipenseridae
- The fish he needs are the sturgeon - the beluga and the sevruga.
- There is a budget version of the omelette - with only one ounce of the sevruga caviar it sets diners back just $100.
- Only the eggs of the sevruga - much smaller, harder, greyer and cheaper - taste like fish (which, Mme Mittelbronn reassures us, makes them a wonderful accompaniment to vodka).
late 16th century: from Russian sevryuga.
Definition of sevruga in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia