Definition of sex-linked in English:
1Tending to be associated with one sex or the other.
- I'm pretty convinced that baldness is genetic but isn't sex-linked.
- The sound anthropological position is that certain sex-linked behaviors are biologically based, although subject to cultural modifications within limits.
- We resist recognizing that our most serious social problems are sex-linked.
1.1(Of a gene or heritable characteristic) carried by a sex chromosome.
- The disorder is inherited as a sex-linked trait, with the HGPRT gene on the X chromosome.
- However, males who inherit an X chromosome with a gene for a sex-linked disease have no second X to fall back on and, therefore, have the disease.
- Hemophilia A, a sex-linked recessive trait carried by females and manifested in males, is a blood-clotting disorder brought about by a deficiency in certain substances responsible for normal blood coagulation.
Definition of sex-linked in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan