Definition of sexagesimal in English:
2Of or relating to the number sixty.
- In ancient Babylon a sexagesimal system, that is a base of 60, was in use.
- The Babylonian scale of enumeration is known as the sexagesimal system.
- Writing developed and counting was based on a sexagesimal system, that is to say base 60.
noun(also sexagesimal fraction) Back to top
A fraction based on sixtieths (i.e., with a denominator equal to a power of sixty), as in the divisions of the degree and hour.
- The first deals with integers, the second with proper common fractions, the third with improper fractions, and finally the fourth with sexagesimals.
- More fractions can therefore be represented as finite sexagesimal fractions than can as finite decimal fractions.
- In fact there are fascinating glimpses of the Babylonians coming to terms with the fact that division by 7 would lead to an infinite sexagesimal fraction.