- 1Relating to the instincts, physiological processes, and activities connected with physical attraction or intimate physical contact between individuals: she had felt the thrill of a sexual attractionMore example sentences
- This was physical attraction, sexual temptation, nothing more.
- Automobiles, contact sports, uncontrolled sexual activity - all ripe for criminalizing.
- Integral to Wagnerian ideology is a belief that all sense of individual identity vanishes during sexual activity.
- 2Of or relating to the two sexes or to gender: sensitivity about sexual stereotypesMore example sentences
- This cultural code expresses contempt for the body; devalues race, gender and sexual difference; and is fixated on ownership and control.
- The award-winning British play promises a salacious good time with its decidedly postmodern take on gender and sexual power relationships in the middle ages.
- It is often based on systematic observation, and can serve as a genuinely useful tool for expanding our concepts of sexual and gender possibilities.
- 2.1Of or characteristic of one sex or the other: the hormones which control the secondary sexual characteristicsMore example sentences
- To recognize these differences should however not lead to an essentialism grounded in sexual or cultural characteristics.
- Whether Basil was really male or female was quite impossible to tell; a fox hides its sexual characteristics very effectively between its legs.
- Laelae and their equivalent elsewhere in the Pacific clearly point to a dislocation between sexual anatomy and gender identity.
- More example sentences
- The counsellor warned those present that some sexually transmitted diseases last a lifetime.
- A few years back, I heard of some dorks trying to sell coffee using some sexually graphic imagery.
- As with all of her photos, they depict happy, sexually confident women who want to express another side to themselves.
mid 17th century: from late Latin sexualis, from Latin sexus 'sex'.