A mechanism in which power is transmitted from an engine by means of a driveshaft, especially to the wheels of a vehicle or a boat’s propeller.
- In 1885 the Rover bicycle incorporated a chain or shaft drive to transmit the pedal power to the rear wheel.
- With the simple air-cooled engine and shaft drive this is a bike which should give years of service with minimal expense.
- Turning the pedals turned an eccentric cam just above the bottom bracket, which then turned a shaft drive that lead down to the rear wheel, where another cam converted this to rotational motion.
- Example sentences
- The continuous rotation of the turbine activates a shaft-driven piston pump which sucks up water from the check dam to an overhead tank.
- Our solution, the shaft-driven lift-fan propulsion system, greatly amplifies lifting power without straining the engine or compromising up-and-away flight performance.
- A shaft-driven lift fan, in combination with a vectoring rear exhaust nozzle, gives this fighter the ability to take off in short distances, accelerate to supersonic speeds in level flight, and land vertically.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: shaft drive
Definition of shaft drive in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.