Soft, finely stratified sedimentary rock that formed from consolidated mud or clay and can be split easily into fragile slabs.
More example sentences
- The soils are developed on weathered materials derived from sandstone, shale, and limestone.
- Glaciers have deposited shale, slate, schist, and limestone throughout the region.
- Towering over the town was Turtle Mountain, a massive hulk of limestone and shale layered with veins of coal in its core.
mid 18th century: probably from German Schale; related to English dialect shale 'dish' (see scale2).
shaly (also shaley)
- More example sentences
- The Liassic in Mochras consists predominantly of alternating shaly limestones, marly siltstones, and micaceous mudstones.
- The Green Point Formation is the more distal and is dominated by shale and shaley lime mudstones.
- An organic-rich shaly horizon of this age can be traced into continental Europe and possibly into North and South America; the stratigraphy suggests regional transgression and deepening.
Definition of shale in:
- The British & World English dictionary