Definition of sharkskin in English:
1The rough scaly skin of a shark, sometimes used as shagreen.
- She has created an artificial sharkskin that mimics natural sharkskin's innate resistance to biofouling.
- It is covered by a layer of tiny, bony tubercles, similar to that of sharkskin in appearance and feel.
- The holsters are hand-stitched using the finest leather, horsehide, cowhide, sharkskin and exotics like ostrich and stingray.
1.1A stiff, slightly lustrous synthetic fabric.
- Man, those narrow-lapelled sharkskin suits, that felling left and that slaughterhouse right, and that scowl: his badness transcended race.
- For all his sharkskin suits and his finger-snapping, MacGregor suggests Gig Young more than Rock Hudson, never mind Cary Grant.
- Menswear bargains include 50 per cent off a Fraser suede blazer at £125, and a Richard James grey sharkskin single-breasted suit at £300.
Definition of sharkskin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan