A piece of fabric worn by women over the shoulders or head or wrapped around a baby.
More example sentences
- Gypsy and ethnic references appear in a number of outfits including Spanish style poncho skirts, shawls and classic Native American dresses.
- And floor-mounted coat racks are a natural for cloaks, gowns, shawls and scarves.
- Knitwear includes shawls, scarves and berets with a selection of babywear also available.
- More example sentences
- During the nineteenth century the shawl was found by many women to be a cheaper substitute for the cloak and even today older rural women might be shawled.
- But I see them as human and architectural elements in a landscape of devastation: shawled women and broken pillars, against early daylight, as with the Christ figure in Piero's Resurrection.
- Elsewhere, a determined woman, shawled and barefoot, stands at the prow of a ship.
Definition of shawl in:
- The British & World English dictionary