Definition of shell game in English:
1A game involving sleight of hand, in which three inverted cups or nutshells are moved about, and contestants must spot which is the one with a pea or other object underneath.
- One way they can achieve this is to have their friend Ron play a variation of the familiar shell game by hiding a pea under one of three walnut shells, numbered 1, 2 and 3.
- Finding the company's real revenue-as opposed to reported revenue-was akin to locating the hidden bean in a shell game.
- Usually, when you see him on television, you get the impression that just minutes before, he was fleecing the tourists, running a crooked shell game in the alley.
1.1A deceptive and evasive action or ploy, especially a political one: officials played a shell game by loading prisoners onto buses during population counts at the jail
More example sentences
- They've played this shell game and this terrible game for years and again, I think we need to call them on it.
- But we should also say this is a bit of a shell game.
- His vision of national pride seems a shell game.
Definition of shell game in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan