Definition of shield fern in English:
Any of a number of ferns that have circular shieldlike scales protecting the spore cases.
- ● A European fern of damp woodland (genus Polystichum, family Dryopteridaceae). ● An evergreen fern (genus Thelypteris, family Thelypteridaceae). ● Australian A fern of forested country (family Aspidiaceae).
- Christmas fern and soft shield fern (P. setiferum) remain green; the fiddleheads of many ferns emerge early from the winter ground.
- Cinnamon, royal, and southern shield ferns will grow in full sun if constant moisture is available.
- The distinctive shaggy, moss texture and neat habit of growth sets this variety of soft shield fern apart.
Definition of shield fern in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.