Definition of shikra in English:
A small, stocky sparrow hawk found in Africa and central and southern Asia.
- Genus Accipiter, family Accipitridae: two species, in particular the widespread A. badius
- A short walk along the naval base yielded many interesting bird species including a pair of common grey hornbills, spotted owlets, small minivets, shikra and Common Iora.
- A shikra was seen at its usual hideout along the treeline.
- The ashy drongo does a wonderful call imitation of the shikra, but one such mimic spoilt the effect somewhat by hunting down a butterfly and making a messy job of de-winging it before breakfasting.
Definition of shikra in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.