Definition of shiner in English:
1.1 [in combination] A person or thing that polishes something: shoeshiners
More example sentences
- Add a drop or two of silicone shiner to a quarter-sized amount of gel.
- He was strong and hard against me, for such a pale-faced, freckly-armed shiner of the shoes.
- It looks like we'll have to use the scale shiner again.
2 informal A black eye.
- She smiled and looked to him then back to me, ‘You look worse, but I'm glad he will have a nice shiner and a lot of bruises.’
- So when he appeared outside the dressing room on Saturday afternoon sporting a glorious shiner it seemed there might be yet another unedifying tale of late-night revelry to tell.
- I've been receiving symbolic shiners, charley horses and swollen jaws since I first picked up a mic and joked into it.
3A small silvery North American freshwater fish of the minnow family that typically has colorful markings.
- Notropis and other genera, family Cyprinidae: several species
- Baitfish comprise the minnows, shiners, and chubs.
- Like all surfperch, shiners are viviparous, that is, they do not lay eggs but bear live young.
- The blacknose shiner was collected, preserved, and identified by three individuals.
Definition of shiner in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan