Definition of shirr in English:
1Gather (an area of fabric or part of a garment) by means of drawn or elasticized threads in parallel rows: (as adjective shirred) a swimsuit with a shirred front (as noun shirring) shirring is flattering to all figure types
More example sentences
- Rosie's bath picks up the bedroom's palette in the pastel yellow wallpaper scattered with flowers and a soft shirred fabric that conceals the contents in the vanity's tall cabinets.
- Instead of getting too lost in my suddenly changed world, I remember she was wearing a green and blue plaid dress with some pastel shirring on the bib area, black Mary Janes and blue tights.
- By shirring the sleeves and quilting the cuffs the moiré blended well with the brocade pattern.
2US Bake (an egg without its shell).
- Silver lids were lifted to reveal English-style bacon, shirred eggs, salmon quiche studded with caviar, and a selection of summer fruits and berries served in an elegantly carved melon.
- Variations of the basic shirred egg may include the addition of herbs, cheese, and/or cream.
- When I get around to shirring an egg, I'll try this.
mid 19th century: of unknown origin.
Definition of shirr in:
- British & World English dictionary