The lower, typically curved, part of a shirt that comes below the waist.
- They feature button down collars, center full button front, reinforced shoulder and armholes, shirt tail hem and wood-tone buttons.
- Just knock the mud off the lens and wipe it clean with your dirty shirt tail.
- I was lagging behind the tour group, busy being skeptical about everything until something happened that I couldn't disprove - someone tugged on my shirt tail.
(Of relatives) distantly related: if you checked back far enough, they were shirttail cousins of Curly’s parents
More example sentences
- Not surprisingly, Louis spent a number of evenings with his shirttail relative in the makeshift studio hes had put together in his father-in-law's billiard room.
- Unless you're a shirttail relative of a member of the cast or crew, find a homeless shelter where you can volunteer for an hour and a half instead.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of shirttail in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.