noun• dated , chiefly British
- A person who shines the shoes of passersby for payment.More example sentences
- We see shoeblacks and lamplighters with their tools and utensils; and milkmaids, fruit sellers and prostitutes touting their wares.
- Two seemingly harmless and careless shoeblacks turn out to be gloomy crooks with a dirty plan to rob a bank courier.
- Unemployment is high and many people support themselves with badly paid work in the ‘informal sector’ as shoeblacks or street vendors.
More definitions of shoeblackDefinition of shoeblack in:
- The British & World English dictionary