Definition of shooter in English:
1A person who uses a gun either regularly or on a particular occasion.
- This type of rifle has proven surprisingly popular with regular shooters as well.
- The shooter was a former office employee who was fired about a year ago.
- Within moments, a police officer on duty fired from the floor of the Council chamber at the shooter in the balcony.
1.1 informal A gun.
- I took a step towards him and pointed the shooter at his ear.
- No one seemed to know anything about his background but there were rumours that he carried a shooter.
- The craft of burglary as I was taught it was essentially non-violent, the art was always making sure it remained so, which is why I never carried a shooter.
1.2A type of computer game in which the main objective is to shoot at enemies or other targets: a futuristic sci-fi shooter
More example sentences
- This is shaping up to be the antidote for anyone sick and tired of modern combat shooters.
- Quality: Just-average WWII shooter, violent and bloody.
- Playing video games, including violent shooters, may boost children's learning, health and social skills, according to a review.
2A member of a team in games such as basketball whose role is to attempt to score goals.
- The game became a battle of tight defence over all court positions with immense pressure being applied to the goal shooters of both teams.
- Not much of a shooter, he scores about 10 points less per game then his predecessor used to.
- Have the shooters approach the basket as fast as possible (without losing control of the ball!).
2.1A person who throws a die or dice.
- Most players wager with the shooter and with the dice.
- Would you rather put your money, or increase your bet on a shooter who throws at random, or one with at least a modicum of control?
- Otherwise, the come-out roll becomes the point and you are gambling on whether the shooter will subsequently throw the point or a seven first.
4 informal , chiefly North American A small alcoholic drink, especially of distilled liquor: geez, he could use a shooter of whiskey
More example sentences
- While perusing the menu, Ritchie offered us an Elvis drink, a vodka and grape drink shooter.
- I divided the drink among four glasses, explained to the guys what I'd been up too, and we downed the new drink as shooters.
- Disappointed that we had missed a good evening of free drinking, we decided to go to my friends' place of work, where I drank a plethora of shooters, several mixed drinks and a beer.
Words that rhyme with shooteraccoutre (US accouter), commuter, computer, disputer, looter, neuter, pewter, polluter, recruiter, refuter, rooter, saluter, scooter, souter, suitor, tooter, transmuter, tutor, uprooter
Definition of shooter in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.