Definition of shooter in English:
1A person who uses a gun either regularly or on a particular occasion.
- This type of rifle has proven surprisingly popular with regular shooters as well.
- The shooter was a former office employee who was fired about a year ago.
- Within moments, a police officer on duty fired from the floor of the Council chamber at the shooter in the balcony.
1.1 informal A gun.
- I took a step towards him and pointed the shooter at his ear.
- No one seemed to know anything about his background but there were rumours that he carried a shooter.
- The craft of burglary as I was taught it was essentially non-violent, the art was always making sure it remained so, which is why I never carried a shooter.
1.2A type of computer game in which the main objective is to shoot at enemies or other targets: a futuristic sci-fi shooter
More example sentences
- This is shaping up to be the antidote for anyone sick and tired of modern combat shooters.
- Quality: Just-average WWII shooter, violent and bloody.
- Playing video games, including violent shooters, may boost children's learning, health and social skills, according to a review.
2A member of a team in games such as basketball whose role is to attempt to score goals.
- The game became a battle of tight defence over all court positions with immense pressure being applied to the goal shooters of both teams.
- Not much of a shooter, he scores about 10 points less per game then his predecessor used to.
- Have the shooters approach the basket as fast as possible (without losing control of the ball!).
2.1A person who throws a die or dice.
- Most players wager with the shooter and with the dice.
- Would you rather put your money, or increase your bet on a shooter who throws at random, or one with at least a modicum of control?
- Otherwise, the come-out roll becomes the point and you are gambling on whether the shooter will subsequently throw the point or a seven first.
4 informal , chiefly North American A small alcoholic drink, especially of distilled liquor: geez, he could use a shooter of whiskey
More example sentences
- While perusing the menu, Ritchie offered us an Elvis drink, a vodka and grape drink shooter.
- I divided the drink among four glasses, explained to the guys what I'd been up too, and we downed the new drink as shooters.
- Disappointed that we had missed a good evening of free drinking, we decided to go to my friends' place of work, where I drank a plethora of shooters, several mixed drinks and a beer.
Words that rhyme with shooteraccoutre (US accouter), commuter, computer, disputer, looter, neuter, pewter, polluter, recruiter, refuter, rooter, saluter, scooter, souter, suitor, tooter, transmuter, tutor, uprooter
Definition of shooter in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan