(chiefly British shoveller)
Definition of shoveler in English:
1A person or thing that shovels something.
- As Bella Vista's shovelers work into the late-afternoon twilight, the faint chiming of church bells wafts over from the nearby town center.
- When the shovelers come by, they shovel the bread, rats and spoiled meat into the sausage vats.
- Jurgis is hired at Brown's Meat packing plant as a shoveler.
2A dabbling duck with a long broad bill.
[ Late Middle English (denoting a spoonbill): alteration of earlier shovelard, from shovel, perhaps influenced by mallard]
- Down in the pond there were mallards, northern shovelers, coots and a few gallinules.
- Far less abundant and therefore more highly prized are pintails and shovelers.
- The shovelers and pintails have reached the northern plains and have spread through much of Alaska.
Words that rhyme with shovelershoveller
Definition of shoveler in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.