(chiefly British shoveller)
Definition of shoveler in English:
1A person or thing that shovels something.
- As Bella Vista's shovelers work into the late-afternoon twilight, the faint chiming of church bells wafts over from the nearby town center.
- When the shovelers come by, they shovel the bread, rats and spoiled meat into the sausage vats.
- Jurgis is hired at Brown's Meat packing plant as a shoveler.
2A dabbling duck with a long broad bill.
[ Late Middle English (denoting a spoonbill): alteration of earlier shovelard, from shovel, perhaps influenced by mallard]
- Down in the pond there were mallards, northern shovelers, coots and a few gallinules.
- Far less abundant and therefore more highly prized are pintails and shovelers.
- The shovelers and pintails have reached the northern plains and have spread through much of Alaska.
Words that rhyme with shovelershoveller
Definition of shoveler in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan