Definition of show band in English:
1A band that plays cover versions of popular songs.
- His great colleague Brendan Bowyer, whose recording of The Hucklebuck remains the definitive showband song of them all, clearly recalls the sad occasion.
- The popular magazine is now carrying a regular feature on two showbands each week and is compiled by Frankie Kennedy from Athenry.
- Music for the evening was supplied by one of New York's top showbands - Tommy Flynn and his band.
1.1A band, especially a jazz band, that performs with theatrical extravagance.
- Ita loved the music of the showbands and the country bands and traditional Irish music.
- He is one of those entertainers who served his apprenticeship with well-known showbands, such as the ‘Premier Aces’ and ‘The Magic Band’.
- Back in the 1950s and 60s, Paddy was closely associated with the carnivals in Castleplunkett and had a great liking for the showbands of the era.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan