Definition of shrimp in English:
noun (plural same or shrimps)
1A small free-swimming crustacean with an elongated body, typically marine and frequently harvested for food.
- Pandalus, Penaeus, Crangon, and other genera, order Decapoda: numerous species, including the commercially important pink shrimp (Penaeus duorarum)
- While blue whales may occasionally feed on pelagic crabs and small fishes, their diet is almost exclusively euphausiid shrimps commonly called krill.
- Eumalacostraca is the group that contains most of the animals the general public recognize as crustaceans, such as shrimp, crabs, lobsters.
- The trip north is slow for the cow-calf pair because of stops for nursing and the occasional meal of mysid shrimp or other food encountered.
1.1 informal, derogatory A small, physically weak person.
- Are you sure you want to hang out with that shrimp?
verb[no object] (usually go shrimping) Back to top
Fish for shrimp: some families still go shrimping off the coast at Lytham at Trebetherick you paddle on Daymer Bay or shrimp off Gully
More example sentences
- "We grew up with people who shrimped for a living," she says.
- They hunted alligator and went shrimping and had their own little wooden shrimp boats.
- A lot of people have gone shrimping.
- shrimpy adjective
- Example sentences
- I was a shrimpy, insecure city kid when I first went to camp.
- Jonathan is a shrimpy little guy with surprisingly strong muscles (which make his arms look like an orange on a stick) and short stubby legs (which can run at an unusually fast speed).
- The shrimpy eight-ounce cans drain your wallet more so than they drain your thirst.
Middle English: probably related to Middle Low German schrempen 'to wrinkle', Middle High German schrimpfen 'to contract', also to scrimp.
Words that rhyme with shrimpblimp, chimp, crimp, gimp, imp, limp, pimp, primp, scrimp, simp, skimp, wimp
Definition of shrimp in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.