Definition of shrimper in English:
1A boat designed or used for catching shrimp.
- It was a far cry from the shrimpers' boat George had grown up on.
- The next afternoon, the boats line up on Newport's Yaquina Bay: trollers and crabbers, long-liners and shrimpers, draggers, charters, and pleasure craft.
- According to the Southeastern Fisheries Association in Tallahassee, Florida, nearly 5,000 shrimpers trawled the Gulf a decade ago.
2A person who fishes for shrimp.
- Federal officials are moving toward a moratorium on licensing shrimpers to fish in Gulf waters under federal jurisdiction.
- In the southern states along the Gulf Coast, Vietnamese fishermen and shrimpers play an important role in the fishing industry.
- We spent the day on the little island, populated by fishermen and shrimpers who lived in stilt houses.
Definition of shrimper in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India