Definition of siamang in English:
A large black gibbon native to Sumatra and the Malay peninsula.
- Hylobates syndactylus, family Hylobatidae
- During this period 11 to 16 million years ago, known as the Miocene, there was an evolutionary split between the great apes and the lesser apes, which include modern gibbons and siamangs.
- Bangkok has become an international center for illegal wildlife, and a center for ‘laundering ‘wildlife including live cheetahs, tigers, bears, orang-utans, gibbons, and siamangs to disguise their country of origin.’
- Many smaller animals have also joined the collection: siamang gibbons, provost squirrels, howler monkey, armadillo and the elusive mona monkeys.
early 19th century: from Malay.
Definition of siamang in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India