Definition of sidesaddle in English:
A saddle in which the rider has both feet on the same side of the horse. It is typically used by a woman rider wearing a skirt.
- He jumps down from his own horse to assist her into the side-saddle of the gentle mare beside his own horse.
- The trees bobbed along Ren's view and she thanked for the millionth time that she had decided against using the side-saddle.
adverbBack to top
Sitting in the sidesaddle position on a horse.
- Even today, a woman mounted side-saddle in a full skirt, tightly cut coat, white stock and hard riding hat looks fabulously elegant.
- She was the last person he would have expected it from, yet there she was, riding side-saddle on her own horse.
- As the city's sheriff she performed the traditional beating of the civic bounds but, for the first time in 139 years, she did it on horseback, riding side-saddle on Anzac.
Definition of sidesaddle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.