Definition of sidesaddle in English:
A saddle in which the rider has both feet on the same side of the horse. It is typically used by a woman rider wearing a skirt.
- He jumps down from his own horse to assist her into the side-saddle of the gentle mare beside his own horse.
- The trees bobbed along Ren's view and she thanked for the millionth time that she had decided against using the side-saddle.
adverbBack to top
Sitting in the sidesaddle position on a horse.
- Even today, a woman mounted side-saddle in a full skirt, tightly cut coat, white stock and hard riding hat looks fabulously elegant.
- She was the last person he would have expected it from, yet there she was, riding side-saddle on her own horse.
- As the city's sheriff she performed the traditional beating of the civic bounds but, for the first time in 139 years, she did it on horseback, riding side-saddle on Anzac.
Definition of sidesaddle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan