- A sieve element of a primitive type present in ferns and gymnosperms, with narrow pores and no sieve plate.More example sentences
- Vessel elements, tracheids, fibres, sieve tube elements, sieve cells, and parenchyma cells are the major components of vascular tissue.
- When coupled with a thick layer of cuticle or bark, the self-sealing mechanisms of sieve cells apparently protect phloem sap from most herbivores.
- Sieve tube members occur in angiosperms, while sieve cells are found in other vascular plants.
More definitions of sieve cellDefinition of sieve cell in:
- The British & World English dictionary