Definition of sieve plate in English:
1An area of relatively large pores present in the common end walls of sieve tube elements.
- Between each sieve cell lies a sieve plate with small pores.
- Sieve elements close to the cambium were identified by aniline blue fluorescence of their sieve plates (open arrowheads) and were positive for serpins.
1.1 Zoology A perforated plate in the integument of an invertebrate, especially the madreporite of an echinoderm.
- One of the genital plates serves as the sieve plate, or madreporite, for the water vascular system.
- In addition it has a sieve plate, or cribribulla, at the expanded base of each exaulos tube, structures not present in these Ordovician sponges.
Definition of sieve plate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.