Definition of sieve plate in English:
1An area of relatively large pores present in the common end walls of sieve tube elements.
- Between each sieve cell lies a sieve plate with small pores.
- Sieve elements close to the cambium were identified by aniline blue fluorescence of their sieve plates (open arrowheads) and were positive for serpins.
1.1 Zoology A perforated plate in the integument of an invertebrate, especially the madreporite of an echinoderm.
- One of the genital plates serves as the sieve plate, or madreporite, for the water vascular system.
- In addition it has a sieve plate, or cribribulla, at the expanded base of each exaulos tube, structures not present in these Ordovician sponges.
Definition of sieve plate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan