- The SI unit of dose equivalent (the biological effect of ionizing radiation), equal to an effective dose of a joule of energy per kilogram of recipient mass.More example sentences
- The potential for radiation to cause biological damage is called the dose equivalent, which is measured in rems or sieverts, where 1 sievert equals 100 rems.
- All doses are expressed as dose equivalents in sieverts (Sv).
- Radiation from a tiny particle of, say, plutonium is averaged over the entire body to give a dosage in units of (milli-) sieverts.
1940s: named after Rolf M. Sievert (1896–1966), Swedish radiologist.
More definitions of sievertDefinition of sievert in:
- The British & World English dictionary