Definition of sigma in English:
1The eighteenth letter of the Greek alphabet (Σ, σ), transliterated as ‘s.’.
- The form ς is used instead of σ at the end of a word. The uncial form, called lunate sigma and resembling the letter C, is also sometimes used
- He coined this latter term and employed the Greek letter lower case sigma to denote its population parameter.
- Alpha, rho, tau, sigma, omega, Ash went over the letters he saw in his mind while Lari just stared, apparently in her own little world.
- Finally, even if epsilon is the correct reading, in the letter space to its right, where Meritt read part of an iota, are traces of what appears to be a sigma.
3 Chemistry & Physics Relating to or denoting an electron or orbital with zero angular momentum around an internuclear axis.
- These conical intersections are fundamentally different from the ‘H-vinyl’ structures found in simple alkenes because they involve the interaction of four sigma electrons, as opposed to two pi electrons and two sigma electrons.
- The sigma bond occupies the internuclear space, and the two pi bonds are at 90° angles to each other surrounding the carbon-carbon internuclear space.
- The triple bond is composed of one sigma bond from overlap of sp hybrid orbitals, and two pi bonds, from overlap of two sets of p orbitals.
symbolBack to top
Words that rhyme with sigmaenigma, stigma
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.