Definition of sigmoidoscopy in English:
Examination of the sigmoid colon by means of a flexible tube inserted through the anus.
- If the examination is performed with sedation, it may be helpful to combine it with other procedures such as blood tests, echocardiography, flexible sigmoidoscopy or mammography.
- Persons with at least one positive stool card were offered further diagnostic testing that most commonly included barium enema, flexible sigmoidoscopy or full colonoscopy.
- Further examination using flexible sigmoidoscopy and/or colonoscopy may be indicated in individual patients.
- Example sentences
- It is believed that colonoscopy will find cancers in two percent in the area seen with colonoscope and not sigmoidoscope.
- Your doctor will probably look inside your intestines with a sigmoidoscope or a colonoscope.
- In the remaining 24 percent of cases, no lesions were within reach of the sigmoidoscope nor was there a positive stool card result (either of which factors would typically prompt a full colonoscopic examination).
- Example sentences
- It is convenient to do this with the patient in the knee-chest position, preferably on a sigmoidoscopy table, as a part of perianal inspection and sigmoidoscopic examination.
- Stool properties, histopathology of colonic mucosa, sigmoidoscopic scores, and various laboratory markers of anemia and inflammation were assessed at the beginning and end of the trial.
- Flexible sigmoidoscopic examination is indicated to evaluate the mucosa of the distal colon for signs of inflammatory bowel disease.
Definition of sigmoidoscopy in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan