(also significant digit)
- Each of the digits of a number that are used to express it to the required degree of accuracy, starting from the first nonzero digit: this text will round numbers to three significant figuresMore example sentences
- Although the technique may sound simple in its principles, getting results accurate to 11 significant figures is not a project for a high school science fair.
- As a result of these simplifications, we cannot expect our dipole strengths to be accurate to better than perhaps two significant figures (although the calculations have been carried out with more).
- However, his lesson could hardly have been more effective; I don't think that I have ever since quoted the result of a calculation to other than the correct number of significant figures.
More definitions of significant figureDefinition of significant figure in:
- The British & World English dictionary