- 1In a sufficiently great or important way as to be worthy of attention: energy bills have increased significantly this year [as submodifier]: their situation is significantly different from oursMore example sentences
- Walkers have managed to build their market share significantly.
- Advanced optical coatings are designed for near total reflection over a pre-defined spectral region, offering the potential to significantly improve system throughput.
- Compared to a constant temperature simulation, the folded state was accessible within a significantly shorter simulation time.
- 2In a way that has a particular meaning: [as sentence adverb]: significantly, he has refused to give a straight answer to this questionMore example sentences
- Significantly, Wang does not characterise Guei's naiveté as a product of stupidity or mediocrity.
- Significantly, perhaps, relatively few are ever described as having wigs.
- Significantly, Mrs Thatcher was in Paris in November 1990 when she learned the result of the first ballot of the leadership contest with Michael Heseltine.