verb (silicifies, silicifying, silicified)[with object] (usually be silicified)
Convert into or impregnate with silica.
More example sentences
- Later, authigenic quartz was precipitated and carbonate phases were partly silicified.
- Silica cells were silicified in the first year, and the frequency was not significantly different among the three leaf ages.
- For most large deposits of agate or silicified wood, silica was derived from the decomposition of volcanic rocks.
- More example sentences
- The formation of botryoidal aragonite and clotted micrite was followed by silicification of carbonate phases and precipitation of authigenic quartz.
- It is probable that the original composition was calcium phosphate, and some secondary silicification has taken place.
- The taxonomic fidelity of silicified microbes will depend on the rate of silicification and the factors that control that process.
Definition of silicify in:
- The British & World English dictionary