Any of a class of synthetic materials that are polymers with a chemical structure based on chains of alternate silicon and oxygen atoms, with organic groups attached to the silicon atoms. Such compounds are typically resistant to chemical attack and insensitive to temperature changes and are used to make rubber, plastics, polishes, and lubricants.
- Among the plastics materials used for prostheses, silicone elastomers, also known as silicon rubber or silicones, have been particularly favoured as they combine flexibility with chemical and thus physiological inertness.
- The effect of surface energy on adhesion is often studied by employing widely different materials, ranging from urethanes and epoxies (high energy), to silicones and fluorinated materials (low energy).
- Depending on the type and location of the flashings, roofing tar or silicone or butyl rubber sealants can be used to seal small cracks and gaps.
verb[with object] (usually be siliconed)
Join or otherwise treat (something) with a silicone.
- Then we superglued and siliconed the whole shebang together.
- While Mr. Nesbitt claimed the windows were siliconed shut, there was no such evidence as the holidaymaker had all the windows opened.
- Carrier siliconed the unit onto the trolley's roof near a wire run.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of silicone in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.