- 1The commercially bred caterpillar of the domesticated silkworm moth (Bombyx mori), which spins a silk cocoon that is processed to yield silk fiber.More example sentences
- The domesticated silkworm is one of a few lepidopteran species that have been used for genetic analysis.
- Silk is a continuous protein filament spun by the silkworm to form its cocoon.
- The silkworm is a lepidopteran insect with a long history of significant agricultural value.
More definitions of silkwormDefinition of silkworm in:
- The British & World English dictionary