1A thin layer of silver electroplated or otherwise applied as a coating to another metal.
- For unclear reasons there was neither motivation by American flatware manufacturers to transfer the style from silver plate into stainless steel nor demand by consumers for them to do so.
- For example, the thickness of the silver plate that is deposited electrochemically on a spoon is greater if the electrical current is allowed to flow longer.
- They carry a jug and bowl of silver plate, luxury objects of great costliness in ancient Rome, either as a gift for Agrippa or perhaps, as Ebers suggests, to pour a libation before him as if he were a god.
1.1Objects coated with silver.
- Cahill's 20-year criminal career is believed to have netted him more than €40m, and Gardai believe some gold bullion and silver plate still lies buried in the Dublin mountains.
- At this point, he traded with local Inuit for officers' silver plate, the treasured medal making Franklin a Knight Commander of the Royal Hanoverian Guelphic Order, and other relics.
- The finds from the Shaft Graves at Mycenae contained massive quantities of gold and silver plate, including the gold death mask of Agamemnon.
1.2Plates, dishes, etc., made of silver.
- The restoration work on the castle is progressing and he is now calling on her to return the silver plate to its rightful home.
- He photographed the silver plate, pulled his hands away and put it back in the safe.
- It also means having to repress the vision of oneself staring back that appears in the mirrored surface of the silver plate.
verb(silver-plate) [with object]
Cover (something) with a thin layer of silver.
- He said the coins are advertised as nearly pure silver when they're only silver-plated.
- Wood veneer sweeps right round the cabin, leather covers the floor as well as the seats, and many jewel-like details are silver-plated.
- For example, the technique is used to silver-plate table utensils and to weatherproof objects with cadmium or chromium plating.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: sil·ver plate
Definition of silver plate in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.